+How good are those Zoanoids you mentioned at hearing things?+

+Very good,+ Sho said. +All of their senses are enhanced, so it’s hard to deal with them sometimes.+

+Great. That’ll make things interesting, at least.+

+What are you talking about, Ryan?+

+I don’t think there’s any way to quietly open a garage door, and I know there isn’t any way to quietly start up a dirtbike. The thing’s almost as loud as a motorcycle, in case you didn’t know,+ Ryan said matter-of-factly.

+Oh. Are you sure we should be using it, then?+

+It may be loud, but it’s also the fastest way to get out of here before those Zoanoids you talked about come looking for us again.+

+All right, then,+ Sho said, nodding and accepting the logic of Ryan’s argument.

+Get on and hold tight.+

So saying, Ryan threw his right leg over the body of his dirtbike, raised the remote that would open the garage door that stood in front of him, and took a deep breath to steady his nerves. If those Zoanoid things really did have enhanced senses like Sho’d said, then this was going to require some serious split-second timing on his part. Pressing down the single button on the garage-door opener, Ryan waited just long enough for the door to open a full three feet, then twisted the throttle open and roared across the empty garage.

+Sho, lean left.+

+When?+

+Now!+

With the combined weight of both teens, Ryan’s small dirtbike tipped in record time, forcing Ryan to compensate quickly or risk having the bike fall over entirely. Note to self, this thing’s a lot more tricky with two people on it. +Hey Sho, you all right back there?+

+Yes, Ryan, I’m fine, but I don’t think I want to do that again.+

+I’ll second that.+

As they raced out of sight of his house, passed the last one on the block, and turned the corner, Ryan was already thinking of places that he and Sho could hide out in to avoid being spotted by those Zoa-things.

XxXxX

The sound of gears grinding had been what had originally disturbed Imakarum Mirabilis from his contemplation, but the unmistakable sound of a revving engine was what made the Twelfth Zoalord turn and pay attention.

"Go bring me whoever is attempting to leave this place," Imakarum ordered. "I wish to speak with them."

Imakarum had not been expecting anyone to actually be inside this house at this time of day, especially since neither the winter nor the summer school holidays were in effect. Of course, there was always the chance that this new player in their game was home-schooled, but Imakarum personally doubted that that would be the case. It was odd to consider the possibility that whoever had been inside the building might have seen the Relic cocoon, but then perhaps that was why they had left so quickly.

In Imakarum’s experience, humans were not particularly well equipped to deal with things that were so far removed from their meager knowledge—things like the Guyver, or the Relic cocoon. If there had been a human involved in the disappearance of the Relic cocoon, in whatever minor capacity a mere human could have been involved in such things, then Imakarum would find them and deal with them—after he had extracted whatever useful information their tiny minds possessed, of course.

"Your Excellency," the first of his returning Zoanoids, a Chaltu, said breathlessly, "the others have gone out to catch the human that you heard escaping on that motorcycle, but they were unable to do so."

"Why is that?" Imakarum demanded. "There are no humans in this area to see you in these forms; even if there were humans in the area, you would have very little trouble dealing with them."

"Th-the others thought i-it would be better to get approval from Lord Amniculus before making any further movements in this area," the Chaltu said, noticeably failing to meet Imakarum’s eyes.

For his part, Imakarum was gratified to know that the reason that his Zoanoids had broken off pursuit of the human had been due to their desire to preserve the secrets of Chronos and their respect for the chain of command. He would have had to kill them if their lack of success had been due to their own stupidity, and requesting a new contingent of Zoanoids at this point would have been rather bothersome.

"I will contact Lord Shin presently," Imakarum stated flatly. "Thank you for being so conscientious."

"Yes, milord," the Chaltu said, bowing its head in subservient respect.

Imakarum turned away, leaving the Zoanoid with orders to gather the others of its kind and await further orders from him. -Lord Shin.-

-Yes? What is it, Imakarum?-

-The Relic cocoon has not been located as yet, though there was a human in the area where Lord Hamilcal traced the energy signature of its teleportation. I sent out a group of Zoanoids to pursue, but the human has left this area and escaped into an occupied neighborhood.-

-That is rather unfortunate, Imakarum. I will see to it that no unprocessed humans are in the way of your progress. You are currently in the northeast section of the Colorado Springs area, correct?-

-Yes. That is correct, Lord Shin. I will be in contact with you once my task has been completed, Lord Shin.-

-Most commendable, Imakarum; I will await your report.-

Cutting the mental tether that tied him to the Fourth Zoalord, Imakarum turned his attention back to the mission he was now occupied with. Rejoining his Zoanoids, who were now gathered in the main room of the house after returning Returned from their pursuit, Imakarum looked them over as he prepared to send them out once again.

That human was not going to escape him again.

XxXxX

Ryan was heading almost instinctively for the mall; it was large, crowded, and the expected place for teenagers like him and Sho to hang out. It was sometimes hard for him, what with his bright red hair that he had inherited from his dad, to blend into the crowds at the mall, but then the challenge was part of what made things so interesting. Sho was going to be a bit harder to hide, since he was so obviously not from around the area, but maybe if he could snag a pair of sunglasses, that would take care of that particular problem.

It was something to keep in mind while he tried to keep those Zoanoid things that Sho had mentioned off their tails when they finally stopped moving. They’d need a plan, too, if they were going to keep from getting caught by those Zoanoids, which he needed to discuss with Sho. But all of that could wait until they made it to somewhere more solid than the roads. Somewhere they could actually sit and talk without having to worry about watching out for traffic.

Somewhere that he could get something to eat, preferably.

The sound of a truck engine, somewhat audible over the roar of his dirtbike, had Ryan glancing at the mirror on his left-hand side. Sure enough, a large white truck was coming his way. Maneuvering his bike over to the right shoulder of the road to give the truck room to pass, Ryan shifted his attention back to his driving. When the truck pulled up alongside him, Ryan continued to keep his mind on where he was actually going. He’d found that that was always the best thing to do when you were on the street.

It wasn’t really like he had anything to worry about—the thing was just your average, everyday transport truck. It was probably carrying fruit or something.

His stomach’s insistent growling reminded Ryan of just why it wasn’t such a hot idea for him to be thinking of food at the moment. So, definitely the mall; at least he’d be able to get a snack there, if nothing else. He’d checked for funds when he’d first put on the pants that he was wearing, and he had at least $20 in fives stashed in his right pocket. Ryan knew that that would be enough to get him and Sho a decent meal, at least.

The blast of an air horn alerted Ryan that there was another truck coming up beside him, the first one having disappeared to parts unknown a few minutes ago. Pulling over onto the shoulder again, Ryan waited for this new truck to pass him by as well. When the loud blast of the air horn came again, more prolonged this time, Ryan turned and looked at the truck coming up behind him. It had more than enough room on his left to pass, so he didn’t know what the cretin driver was complaining about.

When a third blast from the truck’s horn split the air, Ryan turned a withering look on the moron driving the truck. He was tempted to yell at whoever the hell was driving that behemoth, but there wasn’t any point in wasting breath on some guy who was both too stupid to even realize what he was doing, and who wouldn’t have heard him over the noise of the road anyway.

+Ryan! Look out!+

+What’s with you?+

+That’s a Chronos truck; it’s carrying Zoanoids, I know it is. We need to get out of here, now!+

+Well, when you put it like that…+

Cranking the handlebars of his bike hard to the right, Ryan managed to turn it around just before the truck would have slammed into him. Checking his mirror, Ryan watched as the truck tried to mimic his turn with the same kind of speed he’d just demonstrated. Since it was carrying a hell of a lot more weight than his little dirtbike, Ryan was pretty much expecting the truck to tip over. Maybe it wouldn’t roll over entirely like in the movies but it probably would end up on its side.

Surprisingly enough, the tight turn didn’t cause the truck to spin out and crash; sure, it had tilted pretty severely, but somehow the driver managed to right his truck just as it had started to reach the tipping point. How he did that, Ryan was sure he’d never know. Still, the fact remained that the guy had somehow managed to keep his truck from tipping, and now he was trying to run them over again.

He could do it, too, given the fact that his big-ass truck had a lot more mass and weight than Ryan’s little dirtbike. There were two things that he had going for him, though: speed and maneuverability. And Ryan fully intended to milk those two assets for all they were worth at the moment.

Ryan was just starting to think about how best to lose his unwanted pursuer when the truck blew its horn and accelerated toward him like the fucking unstoppable Juggernaut. Ryan chuckled mordantly: if he’d really been facing the Juggernaut, he and Sho would have already been dead by now.


 
 
Back to Kenji-Chan
 

The Web WarriorGuyver.com

 

 

 

Disclaimer: The Guyver Fan Archive is a collection of Archived Guyver Websites, Fan-Art and Fan-Fiction done by various people based on the Anime "Bio-Boosted Armour Guyver" by Yoshiki Takaya.

The fictions and images contained within this site belong to those that wrote and drew them and should not be used by other individuals unless you have their permission.