Kenji, lying curled up among the warmest sheets in the softest bed that he could ever remember having, opened his eyes slowly. The next thing to register in his mind was the hand resting on his forehead; it felt almost as soft as the bed he was sleeping in.

"Dad?"

"No, little one, I am not your father."

Turning, Kenji looked up at the person talking to him, but all he could really see was a human-shaped figure surrounded by gold-white light. When the figure lifted him up, cradling Kenji in warm, strong arms, Kenji was even more forcefully reminded of his dad.

"I am not your father, little one," the golden being repeated. "However, I do know him. I am sure that he will be happy to know that you are safe."

The glowing skin of the golden man was warm, and Kenji curled up against the man’s chest without a second thought. Then, just as Kenji was about to relax into the arms of the glowing man, he remembered someone else—someone else whose arms had felt warm and comforting.

"Where’s Mr. Gyouoh?"

The man’s eyes, which Kenji now noticed were yellow and slitted like a cat’s, narrowed slightly.

"You don’t need to worry about him, little one," he said, and Kenji thought that the man with the cat eyes sounded angry. Not at him, but still angry about something. "Reholt has been dealt with."

Kenji was just about to start asking more questions about what had happened when the man gently stroked his forehead. The feel of warm fingertips brushing the space between his eyes was strangely comforting, and Kenji found himself closing his eyes, relaxing into the man’s hold and forgetting all of what he had been curious about. Feeling the warmth from the man’s fingers spreading throughout his body and the strange tingle that he had just barely felt coming from that spot on his forehead getting stronger until he couldn’t ignore it anymore, Kenji opened his eyes again.

"What’s happened to me?"

"Something wonderful," the yellow-eyed man said calmly. "Something that very few humans have ever been privileged enough to have happen. Your father will be able to explain it to you more completely, l think. In the meantime, little one, do not be afraid. Your father and I will be here to guide you."

"Dad’s still here?" Kenji was confused. "But, I thought-"

"Shh," the man with yellow eyes put a finger on Kenji’s lips, effectively silencing him. "Your father is perfectly well, little one. Rest now, you are not quite ready to be awakened."

"What do you mean by that?"

"Rest…"

The man with the yellow eyes put his hand on Kenji’s face, covering his eyes, and Kenji felt himself slipping back into the dreamless nothingness he’d been in before…

Feeling Kenji go slack against him, Imakarum gently stroked his spine. Then, remembering that Lord Alkanphel had requested a meeting with Kenji, Imakarum started looking his son over to make sure he was presentable—after all, the Council of Twelve would be there, as well, and it wouldn’t do to have Kenji appear before them looking as if he had just rolled out bed.

Since Imakarum had helped Kenji dress, he was less concerned with Kenji’s clothes, but he could see clearly that Kenji’s hair needed to be dealt with. Even in spite of the fact that he had brushed it out sometime earlier, Kenji’s mass of ebony tresses looked windblown at best. Laying his hand between Kenji’s shoulders, Imakarum guided his son back to the bed where they had both slept the night before.

As Kenji sat down, Imakarum swept the hairbrush off of his nightstand and began to gently pull it through his son’s hair. Hearing a slight rustling, Imakarum looked down at the bed and saw that Kenji was digging through the blankets, evidently looking for something. Just as Imakarum was about to ask his son what he was so interested in finding, Kenji pulled Kaji out from under the covers.

Imakarum hoped that Kenji wasn’t thinking of trying to take Kaji into the Celestial Hall, since there were few things more likely to offend most of the other Zoalords than having one of their own show up to meet them lugging a stuffed animal, but, even as Imakarum watched, Kenji untied the bright red bandana – Miaka’s bandana – from Kaji’s neck. Satisfied that his son wasn’t about to do anything too childish, Imakarum turned his attention back to Kenji’s hair.

As he moved his hair aside, his father paused in his work to let him finish. Then, smoothing Kenji’s hair back into place, Imakarum finished his own work. Taking his hand once he was done, Imakarum pulled his son back to his feet and turned him around. Looking him over again, Imakarum decided that his son was presentable to the Council now. Seeing the red bandana tied around Kenji’s neck, Imakarum had a sudden, slightly disconcerting feeling of déjà vu. At least he didn’t tie his hair back with it.

Imakarum shuddered slightly as that thought struck him. That would have been a little too much for even him to handle, almost as if the face of the woman he had loved so much—even after seeing her charred and almost unrecognizable corpse—was coming back to haunt him. Even with the differences between Miaka and their son, looking at Kenji was still almost like looking at her again.

"Is something wrong, Dad? You don’t look so good."

"I’m all right," Imakarum answered, smiling for Kenji’s benefit. "We should get going now—we’re expected."

With those words, Imakarum laid his hand on Kenji’s left shoulder and teleported them both to the doors just outside the Celestial Hall. Thinking that it would be better for all concerned if he and Kenji were to give at least some forewarning before they made their appearance, Imakarum stepped in front and pushed open the doors. All of the other Zoalords were all on their feet now, having presumably been informed of Kenji’s existence by Lord Alkanphel.


 
 
Back to Kenji-Chan
 

The Web WarriorGuyver.com

 

 

 

Disclaimer: The Guyver Fan Archive is a collection of Archived Guyver Websites, Fan-Art and Fan-Fiction done by various people based on the Anime "Bio-Boosted Armour Guyver" by Yoshiki Takaya.

The fictions and images contained within this site belong to those that wrote and drew them and should not be used by other individuals unless you have their permission.