Deceptive Rescue Mission

He couldn't sense her. Yukari had completely disappeared from his perception; he hadn't been able to contact her through their link since she had passed out in the tank, just after that insect-type Zoanoid had sedated her. Sho hoped that Yukari was okay; that she hadn't been hurt too badly while she had been in Chronos' possession.

Sho wasn't sure what he'd do if Yukari was hurt too badly for them to help her.

Of course, he still didn't know where Yukari was, and now Aptom had been taken hostage by Chronos. Sho wasn't sure whether he would be able to find either of them, but he still had to try. He owed it to both of them to rescue them from whatever horrible things that Chronos planned to do to them. He had to make sure that they were safe.

And that meant that he had to get up, no matter how tired he still was.

Levering himself up and out of bed, resisting the urge to crawl right back in again, Sho slowly made his way out of his room and back into the house. He didn't want Tetsuro, Mizuki and the others to worry about him, more than that he didn't want any of them to try and stop him because they were worried about him, so he knew he would have to get out of the house without them seeing him if he wanted to rescue Aptom.

He still didn't quite know where Aptom was, but Sho knew that he had to do something to find him. And to find Yukari, too.

However, despite his vows to himself; despite all of his determination, Sho still found himself heading back into his room and dropping back into the bed. As much as he fought it, as much as he didn't want to, Sho found himself slipping back into sleep.

XxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxX

With Hekkaring's input, the anti-Hyper Zoanoid weapons that she had been working on were coming along quite nicely. A fair amount of her counterpart's 'Libertus' forces seemed to favor them, and so she had decided to make more of them than she had originally planned. Still, more weapons meant more of the toxin had to be manufactured.

And that meant that there was a greater chance that someone else would be able to synthesize it.

Hekkaring was not precisely loyal to either of them; he cooperated out of fear, the way that any of the weaker-minded did with them. Once she was fully satisfied that she could manufacture the toxin on her own, then Hekkaring would become surpurflous. Akane was certain that Agito felt the same way about that man.

On the subject of my counterpart…Leaving her desk, and the plans for the weapons that had been locked securely in the drawers, Akane left the room where she had been staying and headed back out into the main area of their own processing facility. There were some things that she was curious about.

Akane was taking in the rows of unconscious Libertus in their processing tanks, being infused with energy and nutrients if the information she had received from Hekkaring was accurate, with a sweeping glance as she walked past. The Libertus were the culmination of Hekkaring's work and Agito's planning; they were also rather fascinating in their own perverse way.

Akane entered the room during what was obviously the end of a discussion between her counterpart and Hekkaring.

"Was there anything of interest discussed?"

"Akane," Agito acknowledged, turning to look at her. "Hekkaring and I were simply discussing the conditions of the Libertus."

"Indeed?" Akane tilted her head slightly. "And what are the conditions of our warrior Zoanoids?"

"According to Hekkaring, they are doing quite well; at the moment, they are being infused with the energy and nutrients they need to recover from their latest battle."

"That was not entirely what I said," Akane turned to look at Dr. Hekkaring as he made his presence known. "I said that these hyper-combat Zoanoids of yours, while they have been developed using the most advanced technology - far more advanced than even that which has been put to use in Chronos' Hyper Zoanoids -are currently in optimal condition. But that situation will not last."

"Meaning?" Akane prompted, raising an eyebrow.

"Meaning that the Libertus, unlike every other kind of Zoanoid that has been developed, will not be able to regain enough energy and nutrients to replace what they lose in battle merely from eating and sleeping, as a normal Zoaform would. They must be returned to these tanks each time they finish a battle. Also, due to the extensive changes made to their cellular metabolism, and the fact that they are put through the equivalent of re-processing each time they return here after a battle, their lifespans have been significantly reduced. I honestly doubt that they will be able to survive for more than two years at this rate. Perhaps closer to three if you are both careful about when and how you use them."

"We have a great deal of soldiers who would be willing to undergo this process, in spite of any risk, simply to be able to fight Chronos on more even terms," Akane smiled thinly. "Uneven, rather. Still, it is doubtful that we would ever run out of candidates."

"Indeed," Agito said calmly, stepping over to stand beside her on the catwalk. "Hekkaring, was there anything else that you wanted to speak to us about?"

"Hmph. I rather doubt that either of you would care, but your Libertus are not the only Zoaforms that will be affected by this problem," Hekkaring said, as she and Agito allowed themselves to be led to the far end of the main floor, where a single processing-tank stands. "This shortened lifespan also effects Griselda. She will not survive for very much longer than the Libertus themselves."

"That sounds reasonable," Akane said, looking over the unconscious, altered form of Shizu Onuma.

The battleform was pink; a color that Akane had no particular love for; but then she hadn't been the one to design it. Also, there was nothing wrong with the color; it even made Griselda seem rather harmless. Of course, any Zoanoid who thought that about a Zoalord would be quickly disabused of the notion. If they even survived the inevitable battle; so perhaps Agito's choice of color was appropriate in this case.

"When she was selected to lead the Libertus, did either of you tell her what would happen to her? Did either of you tell her that her lifespan would be reduced like this?"

"I did," Agito said firmly. "Shizu knows what will happen to her."'

"I spoke to her about her choice also," Akane admitted, looking at the unconscious form in the processing-tank. "She seemed almost eager to undergo this process. She said that she wanted to help us; to help save Yukari."

Hekkaring nodded. "In any case, I've finished my work on her; I'm going to retract her battleform so that she can rest more comfortably."

So saying, Hekkaring typed a series of commands into the computer terminal that monitored the condition of their Libertus Zoalord.

Shizu… It was something of a dilemma, the fact that her old friend Shizu had decided to side with Agito. The two of them were truly much too similar to ever coexist; they both had the same ambitions, and neither of them would ever settle for being subordinate to another. They would never be able to share control over this world; either one of them would have to give up their ambitions – an impossible request – or one of them would have to die. And Akane was determined that she would not be the one to die.

Killing a Guyver, while it was a particularly difficult task, could be done by someone who knew as much as she did about the workings of the armor. Unfortunately, Agito knew just as much as she did about the Guyver; and he would also have Shizu to protect him. Still, Shizu would not likely to survive much longer than three years at the most; there would be ample time to plan for contingencies while she participated in the coming battles against Chronos.

While it would be somewhat troubling, to lose a… companion that had stood by her for so long, Shizu had made her choice to stay with Agito and support him. And, with her shortened lifespan from the processing, Akane would not have so long to wait to make her move.

Three years would also give her ample time to devise a strategy.

XxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxX

It felt like someone had driven a heated iron rod through his stomach, Fried'rich reflected, as he opened his eyes and stared up at the ceiling.

"How are you feeling this morning, Your Excellency?"

Fried'rich turned to look at the doctor that was standing over him. "I remember that there was a woman; more of a girl, now that I think about it, standing over me. I think she healed me," Fried'rich was momentarily confused, but the next words out of the doctor's mouth helped to assuage Fried'rich's discomfort.

"You must be thinking of Isis. She was the one who healed you when Imakarum brought you here."

"Where is she?" Fried'rich asked. "If she was the one who pulled me back, then I would like to thank her."

"Isis is currently staying at the Japan Section's Cloud Gate," the doctor said, seeming to hesitate before she continued with her train of thought. "And I don't think that Isis would be in any condition to acknowledge your gratitude, Excellency."

"What do you mean by that?" Fried'rich asked, taken aback.

"Dr. Balkus informed me, as well as the rest of the medical staff, that he had been forced to forcibly suppress her consciousness for the safety of Chronos and its personnel."

"Why would Isis be so dangerous to Chronos that Dr. Balkus felt he needed to do something so drastic? Who was she originally?"

"I wasn't aware of her identity at first, but as it turns out, Isis was Yukari Fukamachi; she was captured during the battle between the Mirabilis twins and those Gigantic Guyvers everyone's been talking about."

"Isis... is Yukari?"

"Yeah, I was pretty surprised by that myself."

Fried'rich sat back against his pillows, thinking over what he had just learned. If Yukari had indeed been taken in by Chronos and made into one of Lord Alkanphel's Zoalords, then it would only be right that he helped her to find her place within Chronos' ranks, though he suspected that Imakarum and Hikari would be more than willing to help her in that respect. Hikari especially seemed very interested in Yukari's welfare.

Still, offering aid to Yukari as she settled into her position at Chronos - whatever that turned out to be - would at least cover some of the debt that he owed the girl for saving his life.

"Where is she now?"

"Isis has been transferred to Cloud Gate, on the request of His Excellency Jabir Bun Hiyern."

"Hiyern," Fried'rich sat up quickly, the memory of what could have been his last moments alive coming back to him at the mention of that name. "Are the three of them at Cloud Gate right now? Jabir, Luggnagg and Kablarl, are they there?!"

"Yes," the doctor said, looking in curiosity at Fried'rich, even as he tried to find a way to tell her about what had happened. "Why do you ask?"

Perhaps it was best to be blunt in this case. "Luggnagg was the one who attacked me. He shot me in the back; with a Gravity Bullet, I think."

"You mean, you were attacked by a fellow Zoalord?" the doctor seemed very surprised by this, she looked as if she wanted to ask more questions, but visibly restrained herself. "I'll have to bring Dr. Balkus up to speed on this."

As the doctor left, Fried'rich found himself wondering just why Yukari, or rather Isis, had been transferred to Cloud Gate. What could those three be planning?

XxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxX

As he took in the bustle of Tokyo far beneath him, both figuratively and literally, Jabir tried to concentrate on the report that Gastahl was giving him.

"I trust that everything is in place," Jabir said, watching Gastahl's reflection in the nearly floor-length panes of glass.

"Yes, sir," Gastahl said, and Jabir could see his nod reflected in the glass. "All the preparations that you have requested have been made, Your Excellency."

"Good. Including the girl, I trust?"

"She'll be right out in plain sight, just as you ordered," Gastahl chuckled. "The Guyver would have to be blind to miss her."

"Perfect. You're sure that not a word of this has gotten out to Shin, yes?"

"Very sure, Excellency. I spoke of nothing while I was around the other Zoanoids. Not even the scientists know what your plans are."

"Good," Jabir said, nodding himself. "You're dismissed, Gastahl."

"Of course, Excellency," the Zoanoid bowed one last time before he turned and left.

"Well, now that we have all the party favors in place, don't you think it's time that we started the celebration?"

Jabir had to chuckle at Kablarl's choice of metaphors, and he found that he wasn't the only one that found it amusing. Luggnagg was chuckling as well.

"Yes," the deep, thoughtful baritone of their fellow Zoalord answered, once he had finished chuckling. "I think it is time that we set out our bait."

XxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxX

It felt so much later when Sho opened his eyes again, and at first, he couldn't quite remember why it was that he had wanted to leave so urgently. But then the events of last night came rushing back to him; that fake Gigantic, the battle with Purg'stall, the fact that Aptom had been captured by Chronos. And then Sho remembered; he remembered that Yukari had also been taken by Chronos.

Yukari had been in their hands for two weeks now, and Sho hadn't been able to contact her once in all that time. It was like she had just disappeared. Sho didn't know exactly what to make of that, but he knew that nothing good could possibly happen to a Guyver that had been captured by Chronos.

He had to get out of here; he had to go save them.

Making his way down the halls as quietly as he could, not wanting to worry anyone if he could help it, Sho started to hear the sounds of the television. It sounded like Tetsuro and the others were watching the news. That was a good idea; to keep informed about what was going on outside the house where they were all staying.

When he heard Aptom's name, though, Sho paused just outside the room. Tetsuro had sounded shocked, like there was something worse going on than just the fact that Aptom had been captured. Taking a deep breath to steady himself, Sho listened to the newscaster as he detailed just what was happening; or whatever Chronos had told everyone was happening.

"Even though this creature is a Guyver, the fact that it is in this frozen state means that it will not live for very much longer. Every day, the Guyver's lifesigns decrease by some small amount. When the lifesigns have ceased entirely, the medical research staff of Cloud Gate have revealed that they intend to perform an autopsy on this creature."

Sho had to bite his lip very hard to keep himself from gasping or doing anything else that might give him away. It was his fault; his fault that Aptom had been captured and was dying slowly, his fault that Yukari had spent so long in Chronos' hands. He should have tried harder to find her, no matter what it had cost him in the end.

"In more uplifting news; the girl Yukari Fukamachi, reported to have been kidnapped by the extraterrestrial forces, has been taken to Cloud Gate for deprogramming and medical assistance. No interviews are being permitted at this time, but we can be assured that the girl is receiving the best of care."

It was only when Sho started tasting his own blood that he became aware of just how hard he'd been biting down on his tongue. Yukari was at Cloud Gate, with Aptom. On the one hand, that was good, since he would be able to get the both of them out of that horrible place quickly; on the other hand, Cloud Gate had one of the largest processing divisions in Japan.

There were thousands of Zoanoids there, and he didn't know what they had in mind for Yukari. But Sho did know that he had to rescue her before they could do anything permanent to her.

XxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxX

Shin was outraged; that three of his fellow Zoalords would give away the secrets of Chronos so easily was not something that he was prepared to tolerate.

"Why did you show the public these images?" Shin demanded. "Aptom was one of Dr. Balkus' top-secret projects, and you now go announcing his existence to the entire population of Japan? What could you have been thinking?!"

"Calm yourself, Shin," Luggnagg said. "While it is true that we may have acted outside our bounds in not asking for your approval, I highly doubt that anyone other than ourselves and the rebels knows of Aptom's true identity. No one even mentioned his name. I think, and the others agree with me, that he could be used to lure the remaining Guyver I here."

"And what of this announcement that Yukari Fukamachi is receiving treatment here? We all know what was done to her," Shin paused for a moment, again feeling a sense of regret that such drastic measures had been taken - had had to be taken - to ensure the safety of Chronos' interests.

"She will also be good bait to bring Guyver I to this place," Kablarl said. "And he would not be nearly as eager to rescue her if he knew that she was a Zoalord like us."

"You plan to let the Gigantic Guyver into Cloud Gate itself?" Shin was shocked at the audacity of what the trio in front of him had planned.

"Indeed. With the lives of Aptom and his comrade Yukari on the line, the boy will not dare to do anything that might endanger them."

"And, even if he did, with four Zoalords here it would be very easy for us to deal with him," Hiyern said confidently. "Even the Gigantic would be no match for us."

"Indeed," Luggnagg said, nodding at Jabir and Kablarl. "The Gigantic will be no match for four such seasoned Zoalords as ourselves. And he will never be able to fight his young friend; he has proven that in all his battles with Imakarum Mirabilis. I am certain that Purg'stall would have agreed with this course of action."

"I would prefer to consult directly with him on this matter," Shin muttered. "I still have not gotten word of his condition from Dr. Balkus, but I hope the prognosis is good. Still, for now I am the acting Overlord for this Section; I will not stand for the three of you acting without my authorization in this area."

"My apologies," Luggnagg said, inclining his head slightly. "We will endeavor to seek your approval in these matters in the future."

"We will be happy to offer you any assistance that you might require in your battle against the Guyvers," Jabir said, offering him a calm smile. "I am sure that you will need to have some help, eventually."

What did he mean by that? Shin wondered, feeling a sense of foreboding but not knowing precisely why. Are you three planning something more than you have told me, or am I looking into this too deeply?


 
 
Back to Kenji-Chan
 

The Web WarriorGuyver.com

 

 

 

Disclaimer: The Guyver Fan Archive is a collection of Archived Guyver Websites, Fan-Art and Fan-Fiction done by various people based on the Anime "Bio-Boosted Armour Guyver" by Yoshiki Takaya.

The fictions and images contained within this site belong to those that wrote and drew them and should not be used by other individuals unless you have their permission.